I've been smiling at a memory the last day or so. When I was in the fifth grade, I was trying out to be part of an after school group called, "Olympics of the Mind." I remember very much wanting to be part of this. Teams would be challenged to first design a creative solution to a given problem. This solution would then be presented at a competition. Secondly, team members had to "spontaneously" respond to questions posed in a session the day of the competition. The more quickly you could respond and the more creatively, the more points for your team. Since I was an absolute failure at dodge ball, kick ball and PE in general, I was thrilled to have a chance to use my head instead of being hit in the head.
Part of the tryout included a take home question.
How could you use a telephone book to entertain a child?
I filled pages of my notebook. The glory days of my eleven year old self. Indomitable! And I made the team.
It really does make me smile too--the thought of using a telephone book as our best source of education and entertainment. I wish I had those notes so I could see if some of my crazy ideas might actually work!
Maybe I should hand the boys the phone book tomorrow and see what will happen. Except I know that I couldn't just hand it to them. I think I have finally learned that it isn't the toys that they enjoy, it's how and who brings them to life. The best toys in our house are props for our stories.
So my mother hope today is that the boys will always see infinite possibilities in everything--even in phone books!
Besides. It may be all we can fit in our suitcases when we leave Atlanta.
Thursday, September 11, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Renee,
You were one of the best, too!! I was so happy you had the opportunity of being on the Olympics of the Mind team!! That brain of yours has never stopped, either. :) Maybe getting to organize and run a McDonald's in the kitchen aided creativity. :) If given freedom to explore kids will come to life on their own.
Mum
You still are the most creative and one of the best moms I know. Keep on thinking with that noggin of yours and your boys will always enjoy happiness with you.
Grammie
and heaven knows we get enough phone books these days- it isn't like you would miss it if they used it. I do remember making Lauren a booster seat with a couple taped together when we lived in Provo . . . oh those were the days.
Post a Comment